I pulled this recipe from last year’s Bake from Scratch, holiday edition, and I wanted to make it based solely on its appearance. It’s absolutely stunning. The original recipe calls for a homemade cranberry filling, but going with the Scandinavian flavors here, I opened a bottle of nice lingonberry jam instead. I liked the flavors tremendously, and I liked saving myself a step, too. I really recommend following suit! I also made a big batch of candied orange peel for the Christmas season, so I used that as well, but if you aren’t inclined to make your own, a purchased one could also work, as could just the zest of an orange grated into the jam. I ended up serving this bread Christmas morning (I baked it a few days in advance, froze it, defrosted it overnight, and then warmed it the morning of Christmas in the oven). I loved this bread (I ate it over the Christmas Kringle we had), and I hope to make it for many years to come. It also got the distinguished title from my father-in-law as “the best thing you’ve ever made.” Has a nice sound to it, doesn’t it?
Cardamom Berry Braid
- ¾ c. (180 grams) whole milk
- ½ c. (100 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ c. (57 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 1½ t. (4.5 grams) kosher salt
- ½ c. (120 grams) warm water (105°F/40°C to 110°F/43°C)
- 1 T. (6 grams) instant yeast
- 2 large eggs (100 grams)
- 5½ c. (688 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 t. (2 grams) ground cardamom
- Lingonberry Jam or Cranberry Filling (recipe below)
- Storebought or Homemade Candied Orange Peel, diced
- Vanilla Glaze (recipe below)
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat; add sugar, butter, and salt, stirring until completely incorporated. Set aside until cooled to 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine ½ cup (120 grams) warm water and yeast. Add warm milk mixture. Stir in eggs. With mixer on low speed, add flour and cardamom, beating until combined. Increase mixer speed to medium-low, and beat until smooth and elastic, 5 to 7 minutes. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover directly with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 24×12-inch rectangle. Spread Lingonberry Jam onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle with diced Candied Orange Peel. Starting at one long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style; press edge to seal. Place on prepared pan.
- Using a serrated knife, cut roll in half lengthwise. With cut sides facing up, carefully twist dough pieces around each other. Form into a circle, pinching ends to seal. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake until golden brown and internal temperature registers 190°F (88°C), about 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Cranberry Filling (optional)
- 1⅓ c. (171 grams) dried cranberries
- ⅓ c. (67 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 T. (14 grams) unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ t. (1 gram) ground cardamom
- ¼ t. ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, bring cranberries and water to cover by 1 inch to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and cook until cranberries are softened, about 20 minutes. Drain cranberries, reserving 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cooking liquid.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place warm cranberries, reserved 2 tablespoons (30 grams) cooking liquid, sugar, butter, cardamom, and cinnamon; pulse until mixture has the texture of jam. Let cool completely. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 1 c. (120 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¼ c. (60 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1 t. (4 grams) vanilla extract
- ½ t. (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.