This is a recipe Rex loved from the Best’s 30-minute meals. I’m cataloging it because I have to take the book back to the library tomorrow.
Skillet Tamale Pie
2 T. vegetable oil
1 onion, minced
2 T. chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (6-8 oz.) package cornbread mix (or homemade)
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 T. minced cilantro
1 . Heat oven to 450.
2. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium and saute onion, chili powder, 1/2 t. salt and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until gragrant, about 30 seconds.
3. Make filling” stir in ground beef, beans, tomatoes, and bring to simmer, breaking meat with a spoon.
4. Make topping batter either to package instructions or homemade recipe below.
5. Stir in cheddar and cilantro into filling and seaons with salt and pepper. Dollop corbread batter over filling and spread evenly.
6. Bake 10-15 minutes and serve.
Homemade cornbread topping:
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. cornmeal
3 T. sugar
3/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
3/4 c. buttermilk
1 large egg
3 T. butter, melted and cooled
Whisk dry ingredients together. In separate bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg together. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until uniform, then add butter until combined. Proceed in recipe above.