I got this off a vegetarian website whose url I’ve since lost. But there was a vegan variant on there if you’re interested. They turned out great–the best oatmeal pancakes I think I’ve ever had.
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups milk or soy milk
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. each brown sugar and baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup butter, melted
To make low-fat pancakes:
- Substitute 4 egg whites for whole eggs
- Substitute half or all the butter with unsweetened applesauce
- Serve with low-sugar maple-flavoured syrup, low-sugar jam, or applesauce
1. In a large bowl, blend together oats and milk and let stand 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together white flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. To the oat mixture, add the eggs, butter, and the large bowl of dry ingredients.
4. To make pancakes, use approximately ¼ cup batter per pancake. Cook over medium-high heat on a grill or lightly-oiled frying pan.