I finally made this great recipe this year. It comes from October 2010’s Everyday Food. I followed the recipe with the exception that I added about 1
cup of candy corns and I rolled them into balls (which was easier than cutting them). This caramel corn was great–it got a little soggy the day after, but there wasn’t much left to worry about anyway.
Caramel Popcorn Balls with Pretzels and Candy Corn
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 cups plain popped popcorn (from 1/2 cup kernels or 2 microwave packages)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped small salted pretzels (7.5 ounces)
- 1 cup candy corn
- 2 cups sugar
- Coarse salt
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, toss together popcorn and pretzels and candy corn. In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup water to a boil over medium-high. Boil, undisturbed, until mixture is amber in color, 8 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and slowly pour in cream (mixture will sputter). Immediately add marshmallows; stir until melted.
- Pour caramel mixture over the popcorn and pretzels and quickly stir with a rubber spatula to coat. Transfer mixture to dish and use a piece of plastic wrap coated with cooking spray to press evenly into dish. Sprinkle with coarse salt if desired. Let cool completely before forming into balls or cutting into bars. Serve on Halloween!